What attracted me to join Toastmasters Club in Auckland?

For me giving presentations and going for the interview would always give me a fright. However, I am part of a drama team and I love performing in front of an audience. When it comes to giving presentations or interviews, I am not able to get the right words at the right time.  I love acting, especially in dramas. I came to know about toastmasters when Steve and Maxine visited my class of hospitality career development. They brought with them the range of table topics, which we can choose from the pool of topics and speak about it for 90 seconds and they evaluate us by providing us commendations and recommendations. I saw that it was really a good way to help us to improve our communication skills. Because whenever I tried to speak in public and ask people for feedback, it does not help you. In short, the feedback given in toastmasters is more like an educational series. I still remember the time in India, in college or universities when seniors will come to freshman and tell us to introduce our self and many times I would feel threaten by them. 

Steve and Maxine also invited us to join us for one of their meetings. In the beginning, I was a bit scared to come for the meetings. But then I thought why not go to the first meeting and check it out. After coming to toastmasters meeting subsequent times, I was surprised it was not just about giving speeches and presentations, but also about leadership development through different leadership roles, such as Grammarian, Time Keeper and Evaluators.

For Me, Toastmasters is much more than about public speaking. The skills you learn do improve your ability to share your message with style, and these skills can be used in everyday situations, such as social interactions with friends and not just interviews or executive presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment